Monday, March 10, 2014

Beginner Power-Based Training, Day 7: First Actual Structured Workout with Power

On the 7th ride with the Power Meter, I went and did a structured workout that I normally do with the Heart Rate Monitor and the training zones based on Friel's training bible.

Known as Cruise Intervals, they are my favorite workout in terms of developing Muscular Endurance. With this said, the workout consists of steady intervals at the threshold level. This day, I was doing 5 sets of 8 minutes with 2.5 minute recoveries at zone 2. With the power meter, I was now able to train at the threshold level in terms of power, and there is a little difference in terms of how harder the workout became. The workout did feel harder in terms of RPE, but I took into account that the first 2 intervals will feel harder than anything after the 3rd one, which should be repeated with little to no loss in power. Overall, I lost about nothing more than 7% which seemed appropriate for the workout since I still stayed in the target power zones and heart zones which is actually a huge margin.

One thing I noticed, especially toward the ending intervals, was that I couldn't raise my heart rate even though I was still hitting high power numbers. Right away I knew this wasn't good because it is a sign of overtraining. However, since I knew the following day would be a rest day, I went ahead and finished the workout especially since my heart rate was still in the prescribed zone.



Training with the power meter also helps in starting intervals too hard. Here is a power curve which well-represents the nature of the workout, due to the slightly horizontal characteristic of the curve, which portrays steady efforts and consistent maintenance of wattage. Riding on the trainer the first few days with the power meter truly helped in teaching myself how to pace.




No comments:

Post a Comment