Saturday, June 1, 2013

IC3 Dash For Cash Race Report - E4

Last week I caught a bad cold and wasn't able to do Mt. Hamilton RR and Memorial Day Crit like I had hoped. I also got stomped by the end of school havoc with finals and papers. But with all that out of the way, I got back on the bike with some build-up in the throat during sustained efforts.

I knew I'd do Dash For Cash so I took it easy this week and didn't do any interval training, just easy rides with Strava segment KOM/PR efforts. Thus, I planned to use this race as a good workout to get me ready for the next few months of Crit racing.

I was able to race with 2 teammates but my plan was to not go for any primes--I was confident I could take a few but after missing a week of workouts and coming from a cold, I planned to just see what I could do in the end. I had two choices--to save it for an all-out sprint (which was my original plan) or attack after the last prime. I didn't want to do the latter because it was really hot, really windy in the back stretch, and of course because I lost some fitness.

Getting 4th in the field sprint at Cat's Hill encouraged me to save my legs for the sprint, so for most of the race I sat it. Sometimes I moved up to the front but the energy cost wasn't too much! Most of the race was pretty boring though--my heart rate was at 190+ but I think the high number is due to the heat since it was 90+ degrees F. So most of my harder efforts came from sprinting out of corners or short sprints to move up or close a gap.

After all the primes were done, with about 3 to go, it was still uneventful and I was really getting bored, seriously! Somebody went solo and nobody chased because his attack was kind of gradual and the gap was growing slow, but he was still staying away. I moved up to the front with 2 to go and the cramps started coming. But I stayed up there with a Squadra SF guy and held a top 3 position in the pack. On the final approach to the last corner I notice that the field is drifting away from behind me because the guy whose wheel I am on had actually surged.

So, I changed my mind about the sprint and decided to attack...

It was bell lap and I chased the guy who was attempting a solo win, I could see that I was closing the gap and I looked behind me and also saw that the field was quite far. But the windy back section came and I was already toasted. On the last approach to the last corner, the field got me. I tried to match their pace but I was done so I just rolled to the finish line after being passed by 28 guys. I ended up 29th/44 which isn't too bad, but I know I could've hit top 15 if I contested the sprint.

The thing is, I still don't know what I am--a climber? Sprinter? Time trialist? That's why I'm experimenting with these race situations I encounter, so I can truly find what I'm better at and what will give me better results. Last race, I did a pretty good sprint but that's because it was Cat's Hill and not a flat criterium. So for my next race, which is most likely Tri-Valley's Crit, I'm going to commit to contesting the final sprint!

So I'm going to write this just so I actually do it! --In my next Crit, save all my energy for the final sprint! Do not attack on bell lap, save my legs for the final sprint!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment