Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Two Before & After Pictures Representing Growth

I'll be honest--when I first started cycling I thought I was going to be the best. I was obviously unaware that there were other Juniors who we're doing things like...uh I don't know...racing in National championships and doing some races in Europe. I definitely needed to know that or else I would've continued being cocky and egotistical. After doing poorly in CAT5 races, I finally figured out that I'm not "the best." But I didn't quit, because I knew I could improve and improve and improve.

It didn't happen right away though. For 2 seasons I didn't take my training seriously. I also got sick and crashed a couple times. I seriously thought that I could get away with skipping some rides every week, but the reality was that I couldn't. 

Today, I'm already expecting 2014 to be a breakthrough season, because I'm finally seeing characteristics I've always wanted when I first started. The UC Santa Cruz Road Race is going to be memorable, because it was my first sustained solo breakaway and it lasted around 1 hour. That's something I never knew I could do, but it was something I've always wanted to do, even though I couldn't hold it until the end of the race.

I have two comparison photos that show what how I'm feeling. The first one is from 2010 when I was a Cat 5 at my 2nd Criterium, when I tried to attack at the end of the race on the bell lap. I ended up getting 2nd to last because I was overconfident and didn't know my limit. The picture below it is me at the UCSC crit Cat4 race, where the pack was actually on its way to swallow me up. I never even knew I could create a gap that big! 

                                       

Notice how my form is almost exactly the same? Hehe.

The next photo is me at the UCSC Road Race. I'm going to paste what I wrote on Facebook instead of re-explaining it:

"Identify & address your weaknesses... The TOP photo is me getting dropped from the Mens' B UC Santa Cruz Road Race in 2013. The BOTTOM photo is me a year later at the 2014 UC Santa Cruz Road Race (Mens' B) where I attacked 2 laps in and held it solo for 8.5 laps (1 hour) and had a 2-minute lead at one point."

                                     

I'm finally improving! This is my first time in all my years of riding where I can actually feel improvements, and these improvements are marginally huge.

I guess this is the right time to say that, in order to track my progress in even more detail and precision, I'm expecting an arrival of a certain bicycle part/tool that has changed the way people train.

That's right, I finally got one. 

-- DB

No comments:

Post a Comment