Sunday, January 8, 2012

2011 Reflection


     For cycling, 2011 was quite odd. This was the first year I carried out with an annual training plan, but towards the middle of summer I ended it due to a crash (I'll explain that later). I didn't count how many races I did, but I think I did over 10 because I upgraded from a CAT5 to a CAT4 in the summer. Now that's nothing to be proud of really, but that ended up being my highlight of the year.

     The beginning of the year started with the usual base miles. I started going hard at March, but that's also the time I began focusing more on school, getting ready for the Senior Graduation Requirements. Looking back at the numbers throughout the whole year, it's easy to tell that I didn't really try that hard when it came to training. That said, for 2012 I'll know how hard to go by looking back at this along with having a new LTHR value to work with.

     It was the first year I raced with a team, but also my last year of a Junior (the sad thing is, I will never get the chance to do that again...be a junior, but I'm glad I got to race as one for two years). I was coached and involved in a team, Peninsula Velo, and I learned a lot of valuable information that I can tell will keep for the rest of my life.

     Then there was the crash. Yes, a physical crash. For some reason my tire flatted upon impact with ramp leading to a bike trail. Sounds ridiculous, but it took me off the bike (starting first week of July) all the way until the end of august, hence the low mileage in both months. After that, my season was over and I was also a bit traumatized to ride at specific speeds. The following months, I took it easy especially since I started classes at San Francisco State University. At this point, cycling wasn't much of a top interest and I put it away for about a few weeks. I don't know if it was burnout, but I didn't feel bad about it, I actually thought it was a good decision.

     After putting cycling away for a while, I met a new friend, Eric, who was the friend I've always wanted to meet. After learning about his interest in cycling, I got back on the bike and did regular weekend rides with him. I showed him places like Sausalito and San Bruno Mountain. I had forgotten how much fun cycling was in the off season, but by this time, November, the rain had started and I had to wait a while, until the end of the month and early December, where it was once again time to start the training year and get into full gear as I prepared for the 2012 San Bruno Hill Climb.

At a glance:
My mileage and hours were very low for this year. I usually get most of mileage in the summer, but the crash prevented that. Normally, my mileage wanes a bit in the last 3 months of the year. I can tell that I went really easy because of my HR averaging in the 140's. I'm definitely going to bring those averages up this year.

Although I'm unhappy with my 2011 Totals, I understand that there's a lot to learn from that, and I understand there's plenty of room for improvement, and those improvements should be developed steadily.

And as I anticipate what's ahead of me for 2012, I will aim to make these improvements deliberately.

(Click the Picture to view the Totals and averages of the year)

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment