Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 2 - January 8 Week Report


     I always start my training season the first week of December so that the San Bruno Hill Climb lands on the end of the 4th week, meaning that the first week of January becomes an entire week devoted to Recovery rides. I honestly hate these weeks because they're boring and they give me so much non-cycling free time, but I only do it because I do a little training for the Hill Climb which is not really recommended for December, so I like to think it balances out (even though, in reality, it doesn't really.)

     I don't really have anything to say about the recovery rides themselves. I took a plain, boring route on a bike trail for Monday & Tuesday (The San Andreas/Millbrae Trail) and on Wednesday and Thursday I just rode around South San Francisco and parts of old Daly City. On Friday, I did my loop from Hickey-Westborough, and I had a lot of fun actually. It's a faster route which results in easier spinning and higher RPM's and speed. Oh, and did I mention I'm 1st on the Strava Leaderboards for the red bike lane stretch on Westborough? I had no clue! http://app.strava.com/segments/813210

     Saturday was my most significant day because I did my (Field) Lactate Threshold Heart Rate test. I don't have a power meter (yet?) so I have to rely on this value to set my training zones. I did it at Polo Fields in Golden Gate Park, and did the traditional 20/30min Time Trial. My value was 10 BPM higher than last year's! Last Year's (at this time) was 174, while this time it was 184! And it's pretty accurate as well because an LTHR of 184 typically means a Max HR of 201, and the estimated 220-(age)18=202 gets pretty close (although i'm turning 19 next month). I changed my zones yesterday night and today I cruised comfortably under Zone 2, meaning that my RPE is way more accurate now, considering today was supposed to be a Zone 1 ride.

Total Time: 8:41:40 (hours)
Total Distance: 130.58 (miles)

     Tomorrow I start Base 2, which means a whole lot of new Speed Skills workouts. Can't wait!!

-D



No comments:

Post a Comment