Sunday, January 26, 2014

An Interesting End to My Off-Season!

First, let me say that my definition of off-season is the period between the day after my last race of the season and the day of my last Base 3 Period workout.

With that said, I am officially done with the off-season! ...Actually I have a Base Period recovery week but that acts as a transition into the uhh...on-season? The reason why I don't start my season on my first race of the year is because I'm usually already doing threshold-level workouts that actually prepare me well for early races. Another reason is because by the time the base periods are completed, I should already be conditioned to do race-like workouts, but since I'm following a methodology relative to time, my workouts will only deliberately get more race specific as I get closer to my target race.

In other words, the base period(s) ARE my off-season because that is the "training to train" period, and the Builds, Peak, and Race periods are my on-season because that is the "training to race" period!

Last Day of Some Things

So today I finished my last off-season workout (apart from the whole recovery week this upcoming week.) Tomorrow is also the first day of my Spring semester of my third year in college! It has definitely been a long break but I accomplished a lot during the break, so I'm ready to get back into gear with school, and I have my own goals for school that I hope to tackle the same way I've been tackling my cycling goals.

I think that's all I wanted to say before I write about the main topic of this post. Since school is starting tomorrow, I went ahead and cleaned out my backpack to welcome the new semester properly.

I took out lots of old crumpled papers and molten chewing gum from who knows when. This has been my backpack since my early high school years!

Anyways I pull out this black, unknown cloth. To my surprise it was a DeFeet Air-E-Ator sock...one that I had been missing for quite a long time. Actually, I was missing two socks and they were both different designs. Thus, I had been wearing a "pair" of mismatched socks once a week since I couldn't find the respective half-pair.

So there was another black cloth, and it turned out to be the second half-pair. Which meant I once again had a complete set of socks...which really means I can go one extra day without doing laundry!

However, the interesting part of this story is that I lost those socks the first day I got back on the bike after my 3-4 week break after my last race. This is because my off-season had just started, so I pretty much ignored all of my cycling clothes. So when I went to look for them on my first day back, I was befuddled at where they had gone, and completely gave up on looking for them, and just focused on other things I had to do...like schoolwork and training.

It turns out that it was in my backpack the whole time...something I carried every weekday. It was closer to me than I thought!

I just find it so interesting that the day I find them also happens to be the day that I complete my first off-season base training completely. I wonder what the symbolism is there? Maybe I should lose them again?

That's all I have for now,

--DB

“One can begin so many things with a new person! - even begin to be a better man.” 
― George EliotMiddlemarch

No comments:

Post a Comment