Monday, August 2, 2010

Timpani Criterium Race Report

This race was held August 1, 2010.

This might be my last criterium of the year if the Oakland Grand Prix isn't rescheduled. But I felt really good about my effort in this race, I exploded in the end, but it doesn't matter since it still counts toward my 10 races to CAT4.

My mom and I arrived early, about 8:40, to the course and registration. My race was at 10:10, with all the extra time I had I was able to properly pin my number and get a very good warm-up on my trainer. By 9:40 I was all done with my warm-up, and I had time to finish a clif bar and a bottle of Propel, and then go to the bathroom. I still had a lot of time so I did a little loop which other people were doing.

After that I met up with Alex Lau and Kasra Shokat and we went to the starting line. My goal was to be in the very front row, and I thought I had blown my chances when the official called Juniors for rollout, but I was still able to get to the front on time.

We were mentored for a bit, and then the race began. The start line advantage was a success, for the next two laps I was in 2nd position behind another Junior. The pace was extremely easy so I took advantage of that to pay attention to the course and be aware of attacks. Surprisingly, for the whole race, there were no breakaways or major attacks.

By 10 mintues I was already in the middle of the pack. I tried my best to not fall back, but the road was just too wide that anyone can come around from the side. For most of the race, I ended up in the back, but on the finish line straight I would try to come around to the front. This was a major waste of energy, and it was due to my poor skills in cornering, which I need to improve.

On the bell lap I tried to open a big gap but that move completely drained my energy, and so I fell to the very back of the pack, finishing second to last (41/42), however, the pack remained close together. I was a little upset with my move, but I was proud of my effort during the whole race, and I was proud to realize that I improved and that my training really paid off.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome write up.

    "For most of the race, I ended up in the back, but on the finish line straight I would try to come around to the front. This was a major waste of energy, and it was due to my poor skills in cornering, which I need to improve."

    Good job, I'm sure alot of people could get complacent just making it, but you made a move. Great Japanese proverb; fall seven times, stand up eight.

    ReplyDelete