Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 San Bruno Hill Climb Race Report

Ahh the race that started it all. The mountain that started it all. San Bruno Mountain was the reason I got into cycling so much. I had an ambition to be the fastest out of my friends to climb it, because the first time I ascended it I was last with a heavy Ironhorse mountain bike. Last year, I had hopes of winning the race, but the strong field and my lack of experience took that victory away, causing me to place 6th. This year was different.

I woke up at 5:30 AM yet my alarm was set for 6:30AM. I was really excited because this is the first race of the year and I haven't raced since September. So I ate 3 Dinner rolls for breakfast (lol) and drank a cup of my favorite mix of coffee and hazelnut and vanilla creamer. Then I drank a cup of water. As I waited for my mom to get prepared, I loaded my bike and everything I needed into the trunk of our car ('06 Corolla). Since I had my driver's permit I told my mom I would drive to the race, mainly so I can find a good parking space near the race.

When I got there and stepped out of the car, I was already freezing. I was wearing a base layer, my favorite "Philippines" themed jersey, my shorts, and arm and leg warmers. I was afraid that I would need to keep them on the whole race, but when I warmed up I was able to take the arm and leg warmers off, just like last year. My warm up was about 25 minutes, something like 5 minutes in Zone 3, 5 Minutes in Zone 4, 1 Minute in Zone 5, 5 Minutes Zone 3, 5Minutes Zone 4, and 5 minutes zone 2. Then I got off the trainer and rode the loop nearby. I was also able to drink two full bottles of water because last year I was really thirsty and I didn't want to carry too much water (actually Gatorade) this year. I did bring a half-full bottle of gatorade with me.

At 9:50 it was time to line up in our respective categories. Last year, the Juniors started 3rd or 4th, so I went close to the start line but I couldn't find the Juniors sign. When I finally found it, it was the last group in the back. We were about 7 riders strong. We were the last group to start, and we waited about 20-25 mintues after 10:00 to actually start the race. I was getting really cold and started to miss my arm and leg warmers, but I knew that I would heat up during the climb.

According to my Garmin, we started at 10:24. Our field wasn't as threatening as last year, but we were still pretty okay. The first person to blast out of the start line was Alexander Freund from the Davis Bicycle Club. He was the guy I tailed last year, so I considered him a threat. About halfway up the first stretch of Guadelupe, about 4 of us were in the front, I was hoping that someone would take the front so I can get a draft, but even after the first stoplight, no one made a move...so I did. I sped up deliberately just in case someone countered, but I was alone, so i sped up even more and was able to carry it throughout the almost-flat section of Guadelupe and the 2nd Stoplight. For the rest of the race, I was alone at the front and had a huge gap between the other juniors. I was keeping an eye out for Sean Clark who followed a little close, but I lost sight of him halfway up Radio Road.

I slowed down at the steepest point of Radio Road, where I knew I would slow down anyway, but I was still able to keep the lead. At this point I kept looking forward and didn't mind anyone following me. The finish line was a little further away than last year, and i don't know my official time yet. My Garmin timed 18:40, which is 7 seconds slower than last year (which is sort of disappointing) but I'll look at the official results sooner or later. However I managed to take 1st place for the Juniors, which was all I ever wanted anyway, since last year.

I was also glad that I met up with a few friends such as Henry and Richard from bikeforums.net, and also CJ who raced in the CAT5's. It was great to see you guys!

As far as prizes go I got my favorite mint-chocolate Girl scouts cookies, a box of Chocolate brownie-flavored Clif Bars, a seat bag, NHL '10 for the XBOX (the other juniors and I expected this) even though I don't have an XBOX, and a nice medal that says "Peninsula Velo Cycling Club" and "San Bruno Hill Climb" which I love so much because I love San Bruno Mountain so much. I really wanted to win this Hill Climb especially as a Junior, and I was glad I was able to win it as my last year.

By the way, I wish I had raced in the Peninsula Velo kit, but unfortunately, I don't have the money to pay for it yet, but I still represent the PenVelo club!

Happy New Years! Until next time!


(Getting Ready to warm-up)


(Finally going to start!)


(The long-awaited results!)


(The "Podium")


(My jersey, bib #, medal, and prize bag)



2 comments:

  1. Good jod!!! What.... another penvelo rider from Daly City.....We'll have to hook up and take on san bruno mountain. After all i just lives blocks from that mountain.
    Ron Williams

    ReplyDelete