Monday, January 31, 2011

January 2011 Summary


(Click the picture to see enlarged)

It wasn't a typical January, that's for sure. The great weather helped me yield 23/31 days of cycling. Base 2 dominated most of the month as well.

I feel like my speed skills have drastically improved, I feel comfortable spinning in the 52 on grades of up to 3 percent, and spinning in the 39 is comfortable if I really feel like pounding it. That being said, the 30t (which will go away pretty soon) is definitely easy to maintain RPMs of 90-100 on even hills greater than 10 percent.

It was also the first full month monitoring heart rate, which help change the way I trained a lot. Some of those readings are inaccurate because the HRM jumps up to the 240s when I go downhill or against a headwind, but most are correct.

I started Tempo rides too, which I felt gave some very minor training to Time Trialing skills. I feel my muscular endurance is pretty well too. I'm ready for Base 3, and pretty soon I'll be going into the main training.

The low point of the month would have to be towards the end of the month when I didn't feel too good on the bike itself. I also went a little too hard sometimes which may have compromised the strict Base I've been training it.

Coincidentally, the High point of the month is towards the beginning, when I met a bunch of other PenVelo riders, went to their meetings, and just in general started the season again. Of course, I can't leave out my biggest accomplishment yet, winning my first race at the San Bruno Hill Climb on New Years' Morning. That will be one experience I will never forget.

Here are the stats:

Total Distance: 681.8 miles
Total Time: 46:53:32 hours
Total Calories Burned: 23874 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment