Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 10 - January 16 Training


(Click the image to see it full-size)

At this time of year, "training" is a bit of an overstatement. Joe Friel calls it "training to train" which other cyclists call it as well. But this is the first week of the Base 2 period. Some cyclists break their Base Periods and others don't. I'm trying to maximize my Base period up to 12 weeks, since my A-Races are in May, which will give me 8 weeks of painful training.

So yeah, my first Base 2 period. I started doing Tempo workouts for 20-25 minutes, and I was really proud of how I could hold on to Zone 3 and feel the workout it did on my muscles. In fact I was so proud of myself, that I had to double check if I did it right. So, I went ahead and did an LTHR test to find my LTHR. I went ahead and did on the training, and I got a really low number of 174 BPM. It might have been because I'm not well rested, it was on the trainer, who knows what, but I was expecting about 15BPM higher, because on the road, 174 BPM doesn't "feel" like the feeling that lactate acid gives you. So I'll have to double check that, but for now, the Garmin does a good job of dividing my zones based on my max heart rate.

So that was pretty much my weekdays. Saturday had the best weather of the year with a max of 69.8 degrees! I was feeling pretty tired so I did a lazy ride around South San Francisco, with hopes of finding one of San Mateo County's unincorporated lands because my Government teacher had told our class about it, and how it had farm animals. Then Sunday I was at a low point because I was bored of all my routes, so I quickly searched up a new one and went down to Mill Valley via Sausalito-Mill Valley Bike trail. I liked it a lot and I have plans going back there.

I also signed up for the Ronde de Van Brisbeen, and I'm going to try to make it to the next few Early Birds. I'm actually hesitating to do them because I really don't want to go anaerobic for more than half an hour, but then again I can get my CAT4 upgrade sooner.

This coming week will be similar, I have 14 and a half hours planned because we have Monday off for Martin Luther King day.

Anyways I had planned 11:30 this week but I was off 1:26. Wednesday was supposed to be a 1:30 ride, but I was concerned if I was training wrong. It's OK though.

Total Distance: 147.29 miles
Total Ride Time: 10:04:18

No comments:

Post a Comment